This portal reported yesterday that a defamation suit had been filed at the Virginia State Court by lawyers for Mr. Agyapong, suing the defendant, Kevin Ekow Taylor for defamatory comments made against the lawmaker over a period of time.
Kevin Taylor confirmed on his show yesterday that he has indeed been served with the civil action and has consequently instructed his lawyers to respond to the action within a week or two.
Mr. Taylor also said that he is ready to meet the Assin Central MP in Court anyday and even threatened to ‘strip the lawmaker naked’ before the US Judge as a crook who insults judges back in his home country, and someone who has absolutely no regard for law.
It is interesting, however, to note that Ken Agyapong, the man who is suing another for defaming him, has at least 10 suits against him in Ghanaian Courts in which persons have sued him for defaming them.
This portal brings you a summary of all the defamation suits currently against Mr. Agyapong in the various Ghanaian Courts.
- Kwasi Twum and Multimedia Group Limited Vs. Kennedy Agyapong: Joy FM, the Multimedia Group and their founder, Kwasi Twum sued MP for Assin Central, Ken Agyapong earlier this year for defamation. According to the media company, the suit is for multiple allegations made by the MP in the month of July that they operate unethically, unprofessionally, and criminally.“The broadcast and publications falsely sought to portray the plaintiffs as unethical, unprofessional, and criminal. The broadcasts and publications as well as associated defamatory commentary have been carefully and meticulously gathered and formally transcribed and translated. Our lawyers are under firm instructions to sue to clear out names,” part of a press release from the Multimedia Group dated September 1, 2021, said.
- Senyo Hosi Vs. Kennedy Agyapong: In July 2017, Mr Hosi dragged Mr Agyapong to court seeking GH¢5 million in damages after the MP accused him of bribery over the alleged sale of contaminated fuel by the Bulk Oil Storage and Transportation Company Limited (BOST). The case was later struck out by the court for want of prosecution by Justice William Bempong. However, lawyers for Mr. Hosi successfully argued to relist the case against the MP.
- Former IGP, Asante-Appeatu Vs. Justice Kweku Anan of Net2 TV: Though not exactly against Mr. Ken Agyapong in name, it is in practice against him since it is obvious that he is the instigator behind his boy. Kweku Annan is said to have claimed on the June 16, 2021, edition of his show that, the former IGP is a fence for notorious Ghanaian and Nigerian criminals and harbours the criminals.In addition, he alleged that Mr. Asante-Apeatu is/was on the payroll of top criminals in Ghana, and had refused to cause the arrest and prosecution of these criminals.Not only that, the TV Presenter accused the former IGP of working in cahoots with hardened international criminals to unleash terror on Ghanaians.
- Hassan Zein Vs. Kennedy Agyapong: In his statement of claims, the plaintiff averred that in December last year, Net2 broadcast videos purported to have captured him involved in “fraud, drugs, money laundering, corruption among other damaging and defamatory issues to damage his reputation and integrity.”Mr Zein is a renowned business executive with establishments in West and Northern Africa, Europe and Accra.According to the suit filed at an Accra High Court, Net2 Television owned by Kennedy Agyapong showed the video to the whole world, claiming the plaintiff had defrauded some people in the Republic of Togo, Nigeria, Ghana, Benin and other countries without any proof.The suit said the television station failed to authenticate the video before broadcasting it.“The commentary and the panel discussions that followed soon after the video clip were disparaging, damaging and well calculated to lower the reputation of the plaintiff and his business interests in the estimation of right-thinking members of society generally and/or tends to make them shun or avoid him,” the suit averred.
- Joseph Yammin Vs. Kennedy Agyapong: Per the plaintiff’s statement of claim, on May 14, 2020 the first defendant (Kennedy Agyapong) falsely accused him of conspiracy to commit series of murders to destabilise the country on the second defendant’s media airwaves (Oman FM).The statement of claim also avers that Mr Agyapong said the plaintiff used to beg for food as a student at Prempeh College.Mr Yammin contends that the said stories published by the defendants are “vexatious, total fabrication and have exposed the plaintiff to hatred, ridicule and contempt”. The plaintiff has therefore sued the defendant to the tune of GHS 95 million.
- Casiel Ato Forson Vs. Kennedy Agyapong: The MP for Ajumako-Enyan-Esiam, Dr Cassiel Ato Forson has sued the Assin Central MP, Mr Kennedy Ohene Agyapong for defamation over allegations that he (Forson) is the mastermind behind a plot to assassinate the Minister for Gender and Social Protection, Cynthia Morrison.Mr Forson’s suit filed on Tuesday, October 27, 2020, said while he has not been mentioned in the charge sheet of the ongoing court case or invited by the police for questioning, Mr Agyapong went ahead to make libellous statements without any justification against his person.
- Ivy Heward Mills Vs. Kennedy Agyapong: The wife of the late Abuakwa North MP, Ivy Heward Mills has sued Assin Central MP, Kennedy Agyapong and eight others for defamation.Kennedy Agyapong had alleged that Ivy was in a relationship with investigative journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas.The allegations were made ahead of the release of Anas’ exposé on corruption in Ghana football in July 2018.
- Abdul-Malik Kweku Baako Vs. Kennedy Agyapong: The Editor-in-Chief of the New Crusading Guide has won a defamatory suit against Assin Central legislator, Kennedy Ohene Agyapong. Mr. Baako sued after the lawmaker made defamatory comments against him after the Anas expose’ on Ghana football. The case is currently on appeal.
- Anas Aremeyaw Anas Vs. Kennedy Agyapong: The award-winning investigative journalist sued the Assin Central MP after the lawmaker accused him of serious allegations including murder, extortion and blackmail.
- Cecil Garbrah Vs. Kennedy Agyapong: The Assin Central MP is currently locked in another defamation suit with Mr. Cecil Garbrah.
Even though Mr. Agyapong appears to be on the other side this time around in his defamation suit involving Kevin Taylor, there can be no doubt that the maverick MP is probably the most sued Ghanaian at the moment.