Connect with us

Foreign News

Biden Outlines Plans To Reverse Most Of Donald Trump’s Policies

Published

on


President-elect Joe Biden is prepared to issue a series of executive orders after taking office that would reverse some of President Trump’s most noteworthy policies, including his controversial “Muslim ban,” his crackdown on DREAMers, and his withdrawals from the Paris climate accords and the World Health Organization, people familiar with his plans told The Washington Post.

Biden’s advisers have spent “months quietly working on how best to implement his agenda, with hundreds of transition officials preparing to get to work inside various federal agencies,” the Post writes. “They have assembled a book filled with his campaign commitments to help guide their early decisions.” In another display of how stark a contrast Biden plans to draw with Trump, the president-elect reportedly plans to announce a robust, 12-member coronavirus task force as soon as Monday.

While Biden’s sweeping erasure of his predecessor’s efforts in office would be remarkable, the president-elect will likely have few other options for implementing major policies, since the looming possibility of a Republican-controlled Senate would present an obstacle for his administration to pass substantial legislation. “In the old days, the mandate meant that the other side would be more amenable, or feeling they had an impetus to work,” Sen. Robert P. Casey Jr., Jr. (D-Pa.) explained to the Post. “I’m not sure that applies any longer.”

Source: WashingtonPost.Com

Foreign News

Just In: Queen Elizabeth’s Husband, Prince Philip Passes Away

Published

on


Prince Philip, husband of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Monarch of the UK has passed away, Buckingham Palace has announced.

A statement from Buckingham Palace said: “It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

The Prince had been married to the queen for well over 70 years, making him the longest-serving consort in British history.

No official details have been released yet about the Duke’s funeral, but it is understood he will be given a royal ceremonial funeral rather than a state funeral, in line with his wishes.

Source: GhanaFeed.Com

Continue Reading

Foreign News

Former France President, Nicholas Sarkozy Jailed 3 Years For Bribing A Judge

Published

on


Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy and two former associates have been sentenced to three years in jail – two of them suspended – for corruption.

Sarkozy, 66, was found guilty of trying to bribe a magistrate, Gilbert Azibert, by offering a prestigious job in Monaco in return for information about a criminal inquiry into his political party.

Sarkozy’s ex-lawyer Thierry Herzog and Azibert got the same sentence.

Sarkozy can serve the term at home.

In the ruling, the judge said Sarkozy could serve house arrest with an electronic tag. The ex-president is expected to appeal.

It is a legal landmark for post-war France. The only precedent was the trial of Sarkozy’s right-wing predecessor Jacques Chirac, who got a two-year suspended sentence in 2011 for having arranged bogus jobs at Paris City Hall for political allies when he was Paris mayor. Chirac died in 2019.

Prosecutors sought a four-year jail sentence for Sarkozy, half of which would be suspended.

The case centered on conversations between Azibert and Herzog, which were taped by investigators looking into claims that Sarkozy accepted illicit payments from the L’Oreal heiress Liliane Bettencourt for his 2007 presidential campaign.

Sarkozy is also due to go on trial in a separate case, from 17 March to 15 April, which relates to the so-called Bygmalion affair. Sarkozy is accused of having fraudulently overspent in his 2012 presidential campaign. He had served as president since 2007 – but his 2012 re-election bid was unsuccessful.

Nonetheless, he remains popular in right-wing circles, a year away from a presidential election.

Source: BBC

Continue Reading

Foreign News

Facebook Blocks Donald Trump From Making Posts Till He Hands Over Power To Biden

Published

on


Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, has announced that American President, Donald Trump will be blocked from making further posts on Facebook and Instagram till at least his transition is over.

This decision comes after President Trump uploaded on his facebook page asking the protesters to go home, yet continue to make false claims the election was rigged in favour of President-elect Joe Biden.

See Zuckerberg’s announcement below:

The shocking events of the last 24 hours clearly demonstrate that President Donald Trump intends to use his remaining time in office to undermine the peaceful and lawful transition of power to his elected successor, Joe Biden.

His decision to use his platform to condone rather than condemn the actions of his supporters at the Capitol building has rightly disturbed people in the US and around the world. We removed these statements yesterday because we judged that their effect — and likely their intent — would be to provoke further violence.

Following the certification of the election results by Congress, the priority for the whole country must now be to ensure that the remaining 13 days and the days after inauguration pass peacefully and in accordance with established democratic norms.

Over the last several years, we have allowed President Trump to use our platform consistent with our own rules, at times removing content or labeling his posts when they violate our policies. We did this because we believe that the public has a right to the broadest possible access to political speech, even controversial speech. But the current context is now fundamentally different, involving use of our platform to incite violent insurrection against a democratically elected government.

We believe the risks of allowing the President to continue to use our service during this period are simply too great. Therefore, we are extending the block we have placed on his Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely and for at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete.

Source: GhanaFeed.com

Continue Reading

Politics

Politics17 hours ago

Bawumia’s Non-Akan Campaign Strategy For 2024 Is Dead On Arrival – Inusah Fuseini

Former lawmaker for Tamale Central, Inusah Fuseini says the campaign strategy adopted by Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia to use...

Politics17 hours ago

When Did NDC Pick An Ashanti As Presidential Candidate? – Kennedy Agyapong Launches Attack On NPP

Assin Central lawmaker, Kennedy Agyapong has wondered why some members of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) continue to label the...

Politics18 hours ago

Where Else Should We Do Politics If Not Parliament? – Asiedu Nketia Asks Kyei-Mensah

General Secretary of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), Johnson Asiedu Nketia has admonished Majority Leader, Osei Kyei-Mensah Bonsu for...

Politics1 day ago

I Never Said An Akan Cannot Lead The NPP Into 2024 – Kyei-Mensah Denies Non-Akan Comment

Majority leader, Osei Kyei-Mensah Bonsu who has come under heavy criticism following a supposed statement that suggested the ruling New...

Politics2 days ago

Let’s Campaign For Bawumia Because Of His Competence, Not Because Of His Tribe – Kennedy Agyapong

MP for Assin Central, Kennedy Agyapong has said that the loyalists of Vice President Mahamudu Bawumia must campaign for him...

Politics2 days ago

I’ll Vote For ‘Competent’ Bawumia To Replace Akufo-Addo – Kennedy Agyapong

Assin Central lawmaker, Kennedy Agyapong says he’ll prefer Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia leading the New Patriotic Party (NPP) as...

Politics2 days ago

Has Mahama Told You He’ll Change Naana Jane If He Runs Again? – Asiedu Nketia Fumes At Paul Adom Otchere

The General Secretary of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), Johnson Asiedu Nketia has rubbished claims by Metro TV broadcaster,...

Politics3 days ago

NDC Will Allow Other Candidates Contest Mahama For Flagbearer Role – Asiedu Nketia

General Secretary for the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), Johnson Asiedu Nketia says the party will not stop former flagbearer...

Politics3 days ago

What Are You Contributing To Ghana’s Development? – Gabby To Akufo-Addo Gov’t Critics

Gabby Asare Otchere-Darko has asked critics of the ruling government what they’re also doing to contribute to nation building. According...

Politics3 days ago

NDC Supporters Hailing Sammy Gyamfi Over Facebook Post Attacks On Bagbin, Haruna – Asiedu Nketia

General Secretary of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), Johnson Asiedu Nketia says Communications Director of the party, Sammy Gyamfi spoke...

Business

Business1 week ago

Africa’s Most Luxurious And Extravagant Skyscraper: LucreziaBySujimoto, Banana Island

Towering 65m above the ground, the $52 million architectural masterpiece, LucreziaBySujimoto audaciously dominates the landscape of Africa’s most expensive square...

Business1 month ago

How Sujimoto Overcame All Odds And Funded A $52 Million USD Project – LucreziaBySujimoto

It was in 2019, I was near ‘dead broke’ after I had just spent millions on the #SujimotoIs5 event –...

Business2 months ago

Hobort Shipping Now Delivers Items from Ghana to the U.S.A

Hobort Shipping, a global shipping service headquartered in Accra, Ghana, has taken a mega step forward, introducing a new service...

Business2 months ago

From Local To Global: Find Out About Hobort Shipping Services, The Ghanaian Shipping Company That Is Shipping Packages Affordably To Any Part Of The World

Shipping of goods and packages has become very essential especially in the modern world. With the advent of online shopping...

Business2 months ago

MTN Supports Africa’s Coronavirus Vaccine Effort With US$25 Million

Africa’s leading mobile network MTN has announced a donation of US$25 million to support the African Union’s COVID-19 vaccination programme. The donation will help...

Business4 months ago

Sujimoto’s Banana Island Project To Be The Next Downtown, Dubai

“You buy ‘a property’ when you want to be somebody, but you buy a LeonardoBySujimoto when you are already someone”...

Business5 months ago

SIJIBOMI OGUNDELE: How I Run Sujimoto Construction; My Story: From Agege to Ikoyi, How to Make Nigeria and Its Youths Great

Avant-garde, debonair, futuristic, and innovative is among the traits that describe the Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director of Sujimoto...

Business6 months ago

Police Withdraw Criminal Case Against Alhaji Sinare

The Ghana Police have withdrawn a criminal case against the National Vice Chairman of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC),...

Business6 months ago

Sub-Saharan Africa Has No Choice Than To Stick To Fossil Fuel-Dr Babajide Agunbiade.

As the world is drifting towards the use of renewable energy to power their economies, sub-Saharan Africa has no choice...

Business7 months ago

African Construction Giant, Sujimoto Clinches Time Tech Award

Sijumoto, Nigeria’s leading luxury Real Estate brand has won the just concluded Time Tech Award, a prestigious continental award organised...

Trending